Ochsner Lafayette General Bariatric Department Invites Acadiana to “March 4 a Healthier You”
Lafayette, La. – The Ochsner Lafayette General Bariatric Department invites the community to “March 4 a Healthier You” this Saturday, March 4, from 8 a.m. to 11 a.m. at Moncus Park.
The event is a family-friendly walk celebrating health and wellness in support of World Obesity Day, a day encouraging awareness, conversation and action around the disease that affects an estimated 1 billion people. World Obesity Day was established in 2015 as an annual campaign with the goal of stimulating and supporting practical actions that will help people achieve and maintain a healthy weight and reverse the global obesity crisis.
“Obesity is one of the biggest health crises facing the world today. Efforts like World Obesity Day and March 4 a Healthier You are increasing awareness and advocacy for the importance of prioritizing wellness in our fast-paced and often stressful world” said Dennis Eschete, MD, bariatric surgeon, Ochsner Lafayette General Medical Center. “By adopting healthy habits and engaging in activities that promote wellness, individuals can improve their quality of life, increase their productivity and reduce their risk of chronic disease.”
The day begins at 8 a.m. with a brief welcome and presentation on the importance of living a healthier lifestyle followed by a warm-up and stretch session guided by MTS Physical Therapy & Wellness. Participants can spend time after the walk learning more about the healthy lifestyle choices available right here in Acadiana with free health screenings, vaccinations and education from these local vendors and Ochsner Lafayette General providers:
- MTS Physical Therapy & Wellness – Physical therapy services
- Cardiovascular Institute of the South – Lipid and blood screenings
- Ochsner Eat Fit – Healthy cooking options
- Ochsner St. Martin Hospital – Diabetes education and healthy eating for kids
- Ochsner Lafayette General Medical Center Stroke Program – Recognizing and preventing stroke
- Ochsner Lafayette General Medical Center Bariatric Program – Healthy eating for adults, weight loss and non-surgical weight loss education
- Dr. Katherine Vignes / Fallon Guidry, NP – Ochsner Lafayette General Maternal Fetal Medicine
- Ochsner Lafayette General Strike Team – Flu and COVID-19 vaccinations
- Natural Grocers – Health food options
- Athleta – Exercise wear
- Geaux Run – Finding the appropriate exercise shoes
- Acadiana Weight Loss Surgery – Obesity treatment information
- Dr. Cassandra Pillette – Metabolic Syndrome
“We believe that everyone has the power to take control of their health and wellbeing,” said Dr. Eschete. “That's why we encourage everyone to join us on March 4 to learn how making small, sustainable changes to their lifestyle can have a big impact over time.”
To learn more about the event and the Ochsner Lafayette General Bariatric Department, contact Brooke Doucet at 337-289-8484 or email@example.com.