Ochsner’s #AlcoholFreeFor40 Challenge Showcases Wellness Benefits of Taking a Break from Alcohol
Lafayette – Parades and parties, friends and family, king cake and cocktails — celebrating Carnival season in Louisiana can feel magical, but the rolling revelry can also take a toll on personal health. To encourage Louisianians to take a break from alcohol, Ochsner Eat Fit is kicking off its seventh annual Alcohol Free for 40 Challenge on many campuses throughout its footprint on Ash Wednesday, March 2. The Lafayette event will take place from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. in the lobby of the Ochsner Lafayette General Orthopedic Center, located at 4212 W. Congress St.
Cutting out alcohol even for just 40 days can significantly improve whole-body wellness. This challenge provides participants with the resources, education and support needed to abstain from alcohol and benefit from a “wellness spring cleaning.” In fact, data from past Alcohol Free for 40 challenges reveals substantial health improvements including a significant drop in blood pressure, weight and body fat, along with improved cholesterol, triglycerides and liver enzymes.
- The challenge: Stop drinking alcohol completely for 40 days — from March 2 (Ash Wednesday) until April 17 (Easter Sunday).
- The benefits: Most people experience improved energy and better sleep within days, brighter skin and improved focus within one week, and healthier hair, nails and digestion after one month.
- How to join: Register at AlcoholFreeFor40.com by clicking on the button for your city or region. Registration closes at midnight on Sunday, February 27.
- What’s included:
- Join for $35 to receive in-depth pre- and post-challenge metrics including labs, body composition analysis, weight, blood pressure and before-and-after photos to get a clear picture of the impact of alcohol on overall wellness (a $400 value). Participants must sign up for pre-challenge metrics by midnight on Sunday, February 27.
- For more information and to register, click here.
- Get support: Anyone can join the #AlcoholFreeFor40 Facebook group for social support and comradery, to ask questions, follow the journey of others, and share personal experiences, challenges and successes.
- Bonus: Participants will get a sneak peek at Ochsner Fitness Center registered dietitian Molly Kimball’s soon-to-launch book CRAFT: The Eat Fit Guide to Zero Proof Cocktails. When participants pre-order, they will receive 20% off with an exclusive discount code. Plus, access to an exclusive digital cocktail recipe not included in the book. Participants can pre-order soon at EatFitCookbook.com.
“While there may be some minor health benefits associated with moderate alcohol consumption, there are also significant drawbacks, including weight gain, inflammation and higher levels of anxiety,” said Molly Kimball, RD, CSSD, founder of Ochsner Eat Fit and Alcohol Free For 40. “Alcohol disrupts sleep, which can lead to cravings, irritability, low energy and difficulty concentrating. The #AlcoholFreeFor40 Challenge is an opportunity to see and feel the benefits of going alcohol-free, both inside and out.”
Kimball created Eat Fit in 2013 to take the guesswork out of healthy eating. She has collaborated with some of the most iconic restaurants in the New Orleans region to create a program that encourages chefs to offer nutritious dishes for those who want to eat clean, watch their weight and manage diabetes, blood pressure and cholesterol. Ochsner Eat Fit is available at more than 600 restaurants across Louisiana, and includes regional programs in Baton Rouge, Acadiana, Shreveport, Monroe and on the Northshore.
Visit www.AlcoholFreeFor40.com today to join the challenge. To make 2022 your healthiest year yet, visit www.ochsner.org/healthyyou.